JLG Architects, in collaboration with BWBR, expanded the Ward County Government Campus to include a new four-story office building, collaboratively designed with a courthouse remodel and jail addition. JLG led the planning and design of this initiative, beginning with a comprehensive feasibility study that explored various cost and design options.
In the courthouse remodel, several departments were moved from the existing courthouse building to the new office building. The existing courthouse was then renovated to better accommodate the departments which were remaining in the building, without affecting the historic integrity of the facility. The office building was then connected to the existing County Courthouse with a skyway and a new, welcoming pedestrian plaza. Inside, the light-filled atrium provides an internal orientation to visitors and brings natural light into public spaces.
The office building exterior compliments the appearance of the 1929 Courthouse while exuding a more contemporary feel. A similar pattern of narrow vertical windows and materials closely match the Indiana limestone in color and finish, while glass curtainwall details project an open and modern image. Overall, this project made efficient use of existing space, while creating new office space that allowed simplified collaboration between departments. The new office building creates an organic and smooth transition to the remodeled courthouse and new jail while preserving the integrity of the original building’s historic structure.