You spend your vacations setting up your grandma/uncle/third-cousin-twice-removed’s email. You dress up as a member of the Geek Squad for Halloween. And, obviously, you repeat the phrase, “Did you turn it off and on again” in your sleep. Your are such a great multi-tasker that you’re reading this while Googling everything you can about JLG.
You want to eat Dilly Bars and work alongside the coolest nerds in the architecture industry. Guess what? We have the job for you.
JLG Architects is seeking a Technology Support Specialist. Not just any Tech Specialist, mind you. A JLG Technology Support Specialist:
- Is organized. You help maintain a detailed inventory of JLG’s IT assets schedule, including IT documents related to software, equipment, budget, and recurring IT issues.
- Is a wiz at setting up equipment. Hardware? Software? Phones? Email? When someone needs a new piece of technology, you’re the person for the job.
- Knows the secret IT handshake. You are the person we call when something isn’t working, and you press a bunch of keys, blow into the disk drive, and voila! It’s fixed.
A few more attributes of a future JLG-er:
- You have a great attitude. You are cool under pressure, and a great problem-solver.
- You have a background in IT. You either hold an Associates degree in a related field or have 1-2 years of experience in technology support. You also have a basic understanding of desktop, server, and computer networking technologies.
On a 20-below January day in 1989, Gary Johnson and Lonnie Laffen opened the doors to JLG Architects with little more than a stack of bumwad and a burning desire to truly make a difference through great design (and probably a space heater, because brr).
Thirty years later, we are one of the country’s 50 Most Admired Companies (MSN Money), 50 Best Places to Work (Inc. Magazine), and Architecture Giants (Building Design+Construction). That two-person firm may have grown to 120 professionals in 13 offices, but our driving force remains the same.
Every day at JLG is a new day for creating, inspiring and solving challenges. Everyone – from our Intern Designers to our Construction Administrator to our Marketing staff – is the heart and brains of the process, and we work closely together because we are inspired by one another. We live and work with passion; we never stop at “good enough” when it comes to our own expertise and aptitude, and are innovative and resilient in seeking out new ways to actively participate in the experience of being a JLGer.
In fact, our JLGers are so important that we became a 100% Employee-Owned ESOP in 2014 because the best place to grow your career is at a business of your own design. So, if you are someone with fire in your belly and fun up your sleeve, you’re someone we want to meet.
Beyond a love for award-winning architecture and chocolate-covered potato chips (not required), here is what makes a JLGer:
Design | We raise the bar.
We inspire and innovate through creative solutions that elevate expectations and outcomes.
RELATIONSHIPS | We build connections.
We nurture collaborative, supportive, authentic, respectful relationships through clear and honest communication and adaptive decision making.
COMMUNITY | We make a difference.
We find new ways to actively engage in and uplift all of our communities — from our professional network to our local neighborhood to our family of JLGers.
STEWARDSHIP | We take good care.
We take full responsibility for our clients’, firm’s, and Earth’s resources to make smart decisions and mitigate risks for today and tomorrow.
INTEGRITY | We do what we say.
We do right by our clients, our communities, and ourselves.
But wait, there’s more - here are a few other reasons why it’s good to be a JLGer:
- Agile workforce program
- Summer and flexible hours
- JLGfit program
- Company-wide events and in-house social gatherings
- 100%-paid Medical Insurance
- Dental, Vision and Supplemental Insurance; Health Savings Account; Life, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Paid vacation time; paid personal/sick time; paid holidays; paid volunteer time; paid military service
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health/Daycare FLEX)
- Formal peer mentoring program; Company-sponsored training and continuing education
- Paid Architectural Registration Exams
- Endless growth opportunities
- For new graduates, a 3-year development program that cuts the time to licensure in half
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match contribution
- Licensure bonus program
- Discretionary bonuses
Responsible for day-to-day assistance to the IT department involving JLG’s IT infrastructure, software, hardware, and technology needs.
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Closing Date: 09/20/2019
- Associate' degree in related field or 1 - 2 years' experience in a related field.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Basic understanding of Microsoft desktop and server operating systems and hardware.
- Basic understanding of computer networking concepts and hardware.
- Strong problem-solving skills while frequently under various amounts of stress.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Including but not limited to)
Assist, organize and support JLG's day-to-day IT infrastructure, including desktops, laptops, servers, and software.
- Help maintain detailed inventory of JLG IT assets schedule - including all computers, servers, monitors, printers, presentation hardware - and all applicable details.
- IT setup (including all necessary software, phones, email, Microsoft Teams, Ajera, and other programs) for all new hires and/or for new computer and hardware purchases.
- Provide daily technical support to JLG staff; monitor IT issues, and develop understanding of recurring IT issues.
- Updating and maintaining several IT documents related to software, equipment, budget, and knowledge management.
- Proactively help IT leadership manage the firm's IT department.
- Can-do" outlook
- Willingness to do what it takes
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
- Design and/or technical capacity (as required per job description)
- Respect and confidence of peers and project team
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."