You’re so creative, people cheer with every pencil stroke. You’re so enthusiastic, you are your own ticker-tape parade. You thrive on detail, you crush deadlines, and you’re such a great multi-tasker that you’re reading this while building a better birdhouse.
You want to learn about every single aspect of the interior design world and work with some of the most creative, fun, and progressive people in our industry, and eat chocolate-covered potato chips. Guess what? We have the job for you.
JLG Architects is seeking a Student Intern – Interior Designer. Not just any intern, mind you. A JLG Student Intern – Interior Designer:
- Is a Jack of All Trades. Researcher? Check. Revit Guru? Check. Event enthusiast, graphic designer, detail librarian…check, check, check.
- Is eager to learn. We want our student interns to become future firm employees, so it’s important that they are continuously developing Project Support skills, from developing interior designer abilities to communicate with clients and coworkers to creating your own personal ethics.
- Does whatever it takes. Our student interns are just as responsible for our work as our lead architects, and so it’s up to them to keep us successful time and time again.
A few more attributes of a future JLG-er:
- You need to be a student. You must be in the process of seeking a professional degree from an accredited university.
- You know what it means to be a team player. Your “can-do” outlook and willingness to do what it takes garners the respect and confidence of your peers and project team. You communicate. You have excellent time management and organizational skills.
On a 20-below January day in 1989, Gary Johnson and Lonnie Laffen opened the doors to JLG Architects with little more than a stack of bumwad and a burning desire to truly make a difference through great design (and probably a space heater, because brr).
Thirty years later, we are one of the country’s 50 Most Admired Companies (MSN Money), 50 Best Places to Work (Inc. Magazine), and Architecture Giants (Building Design+Construction). That two-person firm may have grown to 120 professionals in 12 offices, but our driving force remains the same.
Every day at JLG is a new day for creating, inspiring and solving challenges. Everyone – from our Intern Designers to our Construction Administrator to our Marketing staff – is the heart and brains of the process, and we work closely together because we are inspired by one another. We live and work with passion; we never stop at “good enough” when it comes to our own expertise and aptitude, and are innovative and resilient in seeking out new ways to actively participate in the experience of being a JLGer.
In fact, our JLGers are so important that we became a 100% Employee-Owned ESOP in 2014 because the best place to grow your career is at a business of your own design. So, if you are someone with fire in your belly and fun up your sleeve, you’re someone we want to meet.
Beyond a love for award-winning architecture and chocolate-covered potato chips (not required), here is what makes a JLGer:
Design | We raise the bar.
We inspire and innovate through creative solutions that elevate expectations and outcomes.
RELATIONSHIPS | We build connections.
We nurture collaborative, supportive, authentic, respectful relationships through clear and honest communication and adaptive decision making.
COMMUNITY | We make a difference.
We find new ways to actively engage in and uplift all of our communities — from our professional network to our local neighborhood to our family of JLGers.
STEWARDSHIP | We take good care.
We take full responsibility for our clients’, firm’s, and Earth’s resources to make smart decisions and mitigate risks for today and tomorrow.
INTEGRITY | We do what we say.
We do right by our clients, our communities, and ourselves.
But wait, there’s more - here are a few other reasons why it’s good to be a JLGer:
- Agile workforce program
- Summer and flexible hours
- JLGfit program
- Company-wide events and in-house social gatherings
- 100%-paid Medical Insurance
- Dental, Vision and Supplemental Insurance; Health Savings Account; Life, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Paid vacation time; paid personal/sick time; paid holidays; paid volunteer time; paid military service
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health/Daycare FLEX)
- Formal peer mentoring program; Company-sponsored training and continuing education
- Paid Architectural Registration Exams
- Endless growth opportunities
- For new graduates, a 3-year development program that cuts the time to licensure in half
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match contribution
- Licensure bonus program
- Discretionary bonuses
Responsible for assisting JLG in all areas of design by following the established JLG standards and performing routine entry-level task and assignments
Position Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Deadline: March 1st, 2020 at Midnight
o Pursuing a degree in Interior Design or Architecture from an accredited university
o Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interview and effectively present information
o Familiarity with industry-standard tools and software such as Revit, Photoshop, SketchUp, etc.
o Passion for interior design
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
o Work with Interior Designers to advance design discourse and contribute to the elevation of JLG's design brand
o Support Senior Interior Designers and Architects with all aspects of project work
o Assist with the creation of an organized and comprehensive materials virtual library
o Assist with project documentation, program documentations, and client presentations
o Continue to advance your own personal and professional development in alignment with JLG objectives
o Serve as a firm-wide recourse for interior design
o "Can-do" outlook
o Willingness to do what it takes
o Sense of ownership and responsibility
o Skill Sets:
o Organization skills
o Communication skills
o Design capacity
o Analytical Skills
o Technical Skills
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."