Every serious athletics and wellness architectural studio leader should have a deep passion and portfolio in award-winning arenas along with superior communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively.
You are more than an architect; you are the builder of communities, the voice of the people, and the greatest sports fan who ever lived. You not only can sell ice cubes to an Eskimo, you know the secret to setting up those ice cubes juuuuuust so in order to lower ice plant costs and improve per-seat profitability.
You want to lead, and reap the profits of your efforts, and work with some of the most creative, fun and progressive people in our industry, and eat chocolate-covered potato chips.
Guess what? We have the job for you.
JLG Architects is seeking a Principal Architect for our Sports studio. Not just any Principal Architect, mind you.
The JLG Sport Principal Architect:
- Helps JLG to work on the best projects, for the best clients. The JLGsport leader builds relationships and elevates the role of marketing and business development within the company to assure JLG is the firm of choice for the clients and communities we seek to serve.
- Is the go-to thought leader for anything and everything related to recreational architecture. Our JLGsport Principal Architect understands the needs and trends in the industry and how to speak the language of the building type in order to provide leadership for the design and planning activities in for the initial phases of the projects.
- Educates, Trains, Researches, and Elevates. Like our communities, JLG is always growing, and our JLGsport Principal Architect will guide the entire JLGsport team into the future.
A few more attributes of a future JLG-er:
- You need to be an experienced sports architect. You need a minimum of 10 years of post-graduate building type expertise in athletics and recreation projects, and a portfolio that includes financial, schedule, and overall project management.
- You know people. You have a history of client sponsorship and management, as well as a proven track record of turning those relationships into built work.
- You know what it means to be a leader. Your "can-do" outlook and willingness to do what it takes garners the respect and confidence of your peers and project team. You stick to your budgets and schedules, period. You communicate. "Organized" is your middle name.
On a 20-below January day in 1989, Gary Johnson and Lonnie Laffen opened the doors to JLG Architects with little more than a stack of bumwad and a burning desire to truly make a difference through great design (and probably a space heater, because brr).
Thirty years later, we are one of the country’s 50 Most Admired Companies (MSN Money), 50 Best Places to Work (Inc. Magazine), and Architecture Giants (Building Design+Construction). That two-person firm may have grown to 120 professionals in 13 offices, but our driving force remains the same.
Every day at JLG is a new day for creating, inspiring and solving challenges. Everyone – from our Intern Designers to our Construction Administrator to our Marketing staff – is the heart and brains of the process, and we work closely together because we are inspired by one another. We live and work with passion; we never stop at “good enough” when it comes to our own expertise and aptitude, and are innovative and resilient in seeking out new ways to actively participate in the experience of being a JLGer.
In fact, our JLGers are so important that we became a 100% Employee-Owned ESOP in 2014 because the best place to grow your career is at a business of your own design. So, if you are someone with fire in your belly and fun up your sleeve, you’re someone we want to meet.
Beyond a love for award-winning architecture and chocolate-covered potato chips (not required), here is what makes a JLGer:
DESIGN | We raise the bar. We are passionate, resourceful problem-solvers who inspire and innovate through creative solutions that elevate our clients and communities.
RELATIONSHIPS | We build friendships. We go beyond the standard definition of a team player; we hold ourselves accountable for nurturing collaborative, supportive, respectful relationships through clear and honest communication and adaptive decision making.
COMMUNITY | We make a difference. Above all else, we know that it is our responsibility to constantly find new ways to actively engage in and uplift all of our communities - from our professional network to our local neighborhood to our family of JLGers.
STEWARDSHIP | We take good care. Time, money, materials – everything is finite. We humbly take full responsibility for our clients’, firm’s, and Earth’s resources to make smart decisions and calculated risks for today and tomorrow.
INTEGRITY | We do what we say. We are authentic, consistent, and transparent in our actions, words, and beliefs; we are courageous to do right by our clients, our communities, and ourselves.
But wait, there’s more - here are a few other reasons why it’s good to be a JLGer:
- Agile workforce program
- Summer and flexible hours
- JLGfit program
- Company-wide events and in-house social gatherings
- 100%-paid Medical Insurance
- Dental, Vision and Supplemental Insurance; Health Savings Account; Life, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Paid vacation time; paid personal/sick time; paid holidays; paid volunteer time; paid military service
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health/Daycare FLEX)
- Formal peer mentoring program; Company-sponsored training and continuing education
- Paid Architectural Registration Exams
- Endless growth opportunities
- For new graduates, a 3-year development program that cuts the time to licensure in half
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match contribution
- Licensure bonus program
- Discretionary bonuses
Responsible for leading and engaging with clients and teams through all phases of the project delivering services to creatively solve problems on multiple projects simultaneously.
Position Location: Minneapolis, MN
- Registered Architect
- 10+ years of post-graduate experience minimum, including:
- Demonstrated client relations/management ability
- Proven ability to function in all phases of project development
- Advanced understanding of building materials, construction methods, and building codes
- Demonstrated project management leadership experience including financial, team leadership, and schedule management
- Proven team management and leadership experience with ability to mentor and empower staff
- Strong verbal, written and graphical communication, consulting, and negotiating skills
- Ability to gain client confidence, hold difficult conversations, and display confidence in public speaking and presentations
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Business Development and Client Relationship Development
- Elevate the role of marketing and business development within the company to assure JLG is the firm of choice for clients we seek to serve
- Consult with practice studio leaders to identify opportunity pursuits for new relationships and secure work through proposals, interviews, and contract negotiations
- Develop and maintain average weighted opportunity pipeline NOR volume mutually agreed upon with practice studio leader and director of business strategy
- Ensure client goals for project are accomplished and expectations are exceeded throughout the project
- Travel as required to develop business and meet Client expectations
- Establish and meet criteria for project success target (profit goals, design goals, team, etc.)
- Deliver scope of contract and established procedures by negotiating, executing and monitoring all Owner/Architect and Architect/Consultant Agreements
- Meet project deadline and deliverables through successful project oversight by assisting Project Manager in developing and maintaining project plan for each phase of design and development to meet profit goals
- Accountable for profitability and performance of projects assigned by overseeing invoices, RPS, and contract terms
- Safeguard the JLG brand by providing program and design oversight of the work that is produced with respect to: Design, Quality, Budget, and Energy-efficient design
- Demonstrate leadership as a firm ambassador through being trustworthy and exhibiting personal behavior that reflects positively on the firm
- Transfer knowledge broadly to project teams and throughout JLG
- Share firm's philosophy regarding practices and core values, especially a common view of the firm as one firm
- Be available to both employees and clients to the greatest extent possible
- Provide motivation to employees through mentorship and coaching to participate in the development of staff, provide the best possible working environment, and clearly communicate firm expectations and objectives for each project
- Participate in outside interest that benefit the firm, exhibit community stewardship, and a high level of self-motivation
- Represent JLG
- "Can-do" outlook
- Willingness to do what it takes
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
- Design and/or technical capacity
- Financial performance/accountability
- Schedule and budget control
- Communication - project team, consultants, client and other stakeholders
- Client relations
- Respect and confidence of peers and project team
- Marketing /business development skills and effort: obtain new business from new clients
- Client sponsorship: obtain repeat business from existing clients
- Develop and mentor staff
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."