You are more than an interior designer; you are the artist of environments, the builder of moods, and the champion of comfort. You dream in fabric swatches and color palettes, you know the secret knock to get the best furniture, and you won’t rest until you install a sensory wall in a healthcare clinic.
You want to lead, and reap the profits of your efforts, and work with some of the most creative, fun and progressive people in our industry, and eat chocolate-covered potato chips. Guess what? We have the job for you.
JLG Architects is seeking a Medical Interior Designer. Not just any Interior Designer, mind you. A JLG Interior Designer:
- Is the champion of interiors. A JLG Interior Designer advances design discourse and contributes to the elevation of JLG’s design brand.
- Is a leader in healthcare solutions. Our Interior Designer will set the stage for all current and future trends in healing environments.
- Is the one-stop-shop for in-house quality control. Our Interior Designer will oversee, lead, mentor, and advise our design teams, and set the tone for all details and other standards.
A few more attributes of a future JLG-er:
- You need to be experienced in healthcare. You must hold a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited interior design (CIDA) or architecture (NAAB program), and ideally have a minimum of 4-6 years of experience in healthcare projects.
- You are passionate about the healing environment. You understand the NFPA and the FGI, as well as Evidence-Based Design strategies, LEAN principles, and the impact of finish selections on infection control and durability.
- You know what it means to be a leader. Your “can-do” outlook and willingness to do what it takes garners the respect and confidence of your peers and project team. You stick to your budgets and schedules, period. You communicate. “Organized” is your middle name.
On a 20-below January day in 1989, Gary Johnson and Lonnie Laffen opened the doors to JLG Architects with little more than a stack of bumwad and a burning desire to truly make a difference through great design (and probably a space heater, because brr).
Thirty years later, we are one of the country’s 50 Most Admired Companies (MSN Money), 50 Best Places to Work (Inc. Magazine), and Architecture Giants (Building Design+Construction). That two-person firm may have grown to 120 professionals in 12 offices, but our driving force remains the same.
Every day at JLG is a new day for creating, inspiring and solving challenges. Everyone – from our Intern Designers to our Construction Administrator to our Marketing staff – is the heart and brains of the process, and we work closely together because we are inspired by one another. We live and work with passion; we never stop at “good enough” when it comes to our own expertise and aptitude, and are innovative and resilient in seeking out new ways to actively participate in the experience of being a JLGer.
In fact, our JLGers are so important that we became a 100% Employee-Owned ESOP in 2014 because the best place to grow your career is at a business of your own design. So, if you are someone with fire in your belly and fun up your sleeve, you’re someone we want to meet.
Beyond a love for award-winning architecture and chocolate-covered potato chips (not required), here is what makes a JLGer:
Design | We raise the bar.
We inspire and innovate through creative solutions that elevate expectations and outcomes.
RELATIONSHIPS | We build connections.
We nurture collaborative, supportive, authentic, respectful relationships through clear and honest communication and adaptive decision making.
COMMUNITY | We make a difference.
We find new ways to actively engage in and uplift all of our communities — from our professional network to our local neighborhood to our family of JLGers.
STEWARDSHIP | We take good care.
We take full responsibility for our clients’, firm’s, and Earth’s resources to make smart decisions and mitigate risks for today and tomorrow.
INTEGRITY | We do what we say.
We do right by our clients, our communities, and ourselves.
But wait, there’s more - here are a few other reasons why it’s good to be a JLGer:
- Agile workforce program
- Summer and flexible hours
- JLGfit program
- Company-wide events and in-house social gatherings
- 100%-paid Medical Insurance
- Dental, Vision and Supplemental Insurance; Health Savings Account; Life, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Paid vacation time; paid personal/sick time; paid holidays; paid volunteer time; paid military service
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health/Daycare FLEX)
- Formal peer mentoring program; Company-sponsored training and continuing education
- Paid Architectural Registration Exams
- Endless growth opportunities
- For new graduates, a 3-year development program that cuts the time to licensure in half
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match contribution
- Licensure bonus program
- Discretionary bonuses
Responsible for advancing the JLG design brand through leadership and excellence in interior design and the technical execution, including team leadership, of interiors packages from pre-design through construction phase services.
Location: Fargo, ND or Minneapolis, MN
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited interior design (CIDA) or architecture (NAAB) program
- 4-6 years of experience on healthcare projects
- Professional certification or registration in interior design, NCIDQ preferred
- Combination of Ambulatory Care and Acute Care projects, to include (not exclusive) experience in clinic, imaging, procedural, surgical, nursing unit environments
- Passion for healthcare design and the drive to create creative solutions to complex healthcare projects
- Understanding of:
- NFPA and the FGI
- Evidence Based Design strategy and focus and LEAN design principles
- the impact of finish selections on infection control and durability
- clinician workflow and strategies to maximize efficiency
- Strong design skills and contribute in a meaningful way to the JLG design peer group
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and effectively present information
- Significant experience in space planning, material selection and specification and the technical execution of projects from pre-design through construction phase services
- Familiarity with industry-standard tools and software such as Revit, Photoshop, MSOffice, etc.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: including the following (other duties may be assigned)
- Provide expertise in the area of workplace solutions and assure that JLG is a leader in this regard
- Assist Practice Leaders in identifying and establishing interiors standards specific to their project types
- Pre-design through construction phase services on select projects
- Quality assurance interior reviews across a broad range of JLG projects in terms of both design excellence and technical execution
- Advise specifications writer on technical criteria and performance requirements
- With Project Manager and project design leader, understand and execute according to project parameters including but not limited to budget
Team leadership, mentorship and development
- Effectively lead interiors teams on projects
- Serve as an interiors resource to project teams
- Work alongside and mentor interior design and interiors-focused architectural staff both empirically on projects and broadly in their professional development
- Continue to advance your own personal and professional development in alignment with JLG objectives
- Establish firm-wide standards across JLG offices
- With Director of Design and Director of Production, advise on establishment of interiors detail libraries
- With Director of Operations, establish FFE service delivery model and execute service contracts
- Serve as a firm-wide resource for interior design
- "Can-do" outlook
- Willingness to do what it takes
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Skill sets:
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
- Proven design creativity and/or technical capacity
- Management abilities:
- Coordinate reconciliation of design with budget
- Communication - project team, PIC, consultants, client and other stakeholders
- Respect and confidence of peers and project team
- Client sponsorship: obtain repeat business from existing clients
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."