You were voted “Best Listener” in school. You thrive on details and processes. Organized is your middle name. Your career aspiration is to improve others’ quality of life.
You want to work with some of the most creative, fun and progressive people in our industry, and eat chocolate-covered potato chips. Guess what? We have the job for you.
JLG Architects is seeking a Human Resources Coordinator. Not just any Human Resources Coordinator, mind you. A JLG Human Resources Coordinator:
- Knows his or her stuff. Federal and state employment laws, record keeping, compliance, recruitment, benefits, compensation, and employee relations – yeah, you got this.
- Works well with others. You are a strong verbal and written communicator, and even better at managing and maintaining confidential and sensitive information with professionalism and discretion.
- Is always ready to help. Assisting JLG’s Human Resources Director means you are reliable, self-motivated, great at record keeping and accuracy, and can quickly learn new tasks and software applications.
A few more attributes of a future JLG-er:
- You are a professional. You hold a Bachelor’s degree in human resources, or a related field with ideally a minimum of three years of HR experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience to perform the essential duties of the job).
- You are experienced. You are educated in employment law, recruitment, compensation, and benefit administration – and you potentially have your HRCI and/or SHRM certification.
On a 20-below January day in 1989, Gary Johnson and Lonnie Laffen opened the doors to JLG Architects with little more than a stack of bumwad and a burning desire to truly make a difference through great design (and probably a space heater, because brr).
Thirty plus years later, we are one of the country’s 50 Most Admired Companies (MSN Money), 50 Best Places to Work (Inc. Magazine), and Architecture Giants (Building Design+Construction). That two-person firm may have grown to 150 professionals in 11 offices, but our driving force remains the same.
Every day at JLG is a new day for creating, inspiring and solving challenges. Everyone – from our Intern Designers to our Construction Administrator to our Marketing staff – is the heart and brains of the process, and we work closely together because we are inspired by one another. We live and work with passion; we never stop at “good enough” when it comes to our own expertise and aptitude, and are innovative and resilient in seeking out new ways to actively participate in the experience of being a JLGer.
In fact, our JLGers are so important that we became a 100% Employee-Owned ESOP in 2014 because the best place to grow your career is at a business of your own design. So, if you are someone with fire in your belly and fun up your sleeve, you’re someone we want to meet.
Beyond a love for award-winning architecture and chocolate-covered potato chips (not required), here is what makes a JLGer:
DESIGN | We raise the bar.
We elevate outcomes and expectations through thoughtful, creative, and inspirational solutions.
RELATIONSHIPS | We build connections.
We nurture collaborative, supportive, authentic, and respectful relationships through clear and honest communication and adaptive decision-making.
COMMUNITY | We make a difference.
We find new ways to actively engage in and uplift all of our communities — from our professional network to our local neighborhood to our family of JLGers.
STEWARDSHIP | We take good care.
We make responsible decisions regarding our clients’, firm’s, and planet's resources, treating them like they're our own.
INTEGRITY | We do what we say.
We do right by our clients, our communities, and ourselves.
But wait, there’s more - here are a few other reasons why it’s good to be a JLGer:
- Agile workforce program
- Summer and flexible hours
- JLGfit program
- Company-wide events and in-house social gatherings
- 100%-paid Medical Insurance
- Dental, Vision and Supplemental Insurance; Health Savings Account; Life, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Paid time off; paid holidays; paid bereavement; paid parental leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health/Daycare FLEX)
- Formal peer mentoring program; Company-sponsored training and continuing education
- Paid Licensure and NCARB fees
- Paid Architectural Registration Exams
- Endless growth opportunities
- For new graduates, a 3-year development program that cuts the time to licensure in half
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match contribution
- Licensure bonus program
- Discretionary bonuses
Assist with the human resource day-to-day operations and duties related to benefits administration, compensation, legal compliance reporting, HRIS, recruiting, and employee relations.
Position Location: Minneapolis, MN
- Bachelor's degree in human resources, business or a related field with a minimum of three years human resources experience preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Specialized training in employment law, compensation, recruitment, benefit administration and training, compensation, compliance, employee relations, and safety, preferred.
- HRCI or SHRM certification preferred, not required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated knowledge of human resources, employee relations, federal and state employment laws, recruitment, benefit administration, compensation, compliance, record keeping, and recruiting practices
- Computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and internet applications
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills and an ability to work well with others to support the JLG culture
- Ability to manage and maintain confidential and sensitive information with professionalism and discretion
- Detail orientated with ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously and thoroughly
- Reliable and self-motivated to quickly learn new tasks and software applications
- Experience with mathematical and statistical calculation, maintaining accurate records, and compiling, analyzing, and summarizing information
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following (other duties may be assigned)
- Contributes to the accomplishment of Human Resources practices and objectives that will provide an employee-oriented, high performance culture that emphasizes empowerment, quality, productivity and standards, goal attainment, and the recruitment and ongoing development of a superior workforce.
- Compose job positing ads for placement in places appropriate to the open position including job boards, social media, college career services offices, professional associations, and on the firm's site.
- Research and recommend new sources for active and passive candidate recruiting, build a network to find qualified passive candidates, and advance the company website recruiting brand and effectiveness.
- Assist with tracking measurable facets of the recruiting and hiring process including collect data on cost-per-hire, time to hire, the impact of a continuous improvement process on cost savings, and the improvement of work processes in the time taken or steps involved, employee turnover rate, employee turnover cost, preventable employee turnover, and consider additional measurements to aid in continuous improvement, cost control, and hiring great people.
- Aid marketing in establishing JLG as a recognizable employer of choice, both internally and externally.
- Assist in preparing and implementing employee onboarding orientation.
- Prepares paperwork required for new hires and establishes personnel file.
- Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS)
- Maintains the HRIS database and generates scheduled or requested reports to assist management.
- Periodically audits the database to ensure accuracy.
- Assists in the development and updating of the Human Resources section of the Parti, JLG's intranet.
- Keeps employee records up-to-date by processing employee status changes in a timely manner.
- Maintains personnel files in compliance with applicable legal requirements.
- Compensation and Benefits Administration
- Processes enrollments, changes, and terminations of participants in all benefit plans and programs.
- Reconciles monthly billing statements against payroll deductions.
- Assists employees with any benefit claim issues or concerns.
- Participates and collects salary survey data and support total reward statement delivery.
- Administer firm-wide project-based review process under the direction of the Director of Operations
- Employee Relations
- Manage employee leave requests, communication, and administration
- Assists in the development and implementation of an employee guidebook and new personnel policies and procedures.
- Understands and implements practices compliant with employment and labor laws along with educating firm leaders of compliance procedures.
- Monitors Affirmative Action Plan and OFCCP compliance, and files all compliance reports with the state and federal government including Vets 100, EEO-1, and Affirmative Action reports.
- Supports the development of the Human Resources Department
- Participates on various work groups to provide HR support, observe activities, and advance firm and individual goals.
- Participates in planning and implementing various employee relations and employee engagement initiatives to support employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, and high performance.
- Assist with administering programs, office standards, policies, procedures, and guidelines to help align the workforce with the strategic goals of the firm.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives, and systems.
- Assists with the tracking of departmental and firm measurements that support the accomplishment of the firm's strategic goals.
- Prepares and maintains reports that are necessary to carry out the functions of the Human Resources department. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested.
- "Can-do" outlook
- Willingness to do what it takes
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Skill sets:
- Detail-orientated and organizational skills
- Communication skills
- Computer skills
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."