JLG Architects is seeking a Director of Design. At JLG, directing design means more than just form-giving. It means orchestrating an integrated, firm-wide approach to design that raises the bar for performance, elevated experiences, and inspires stakeholders. We are talking about advancing an already robust culture and brand of design at JLG, ensuring that design at JLG pioneers a way forward in the midst of rapid and constant change in our company and our world, and specifically, a Director of Design who:
- Innovates, educates, trains, and develops: You will drive the strategy for scaling design excellence across our organization, resulting in innovative design solutions that elevate experiences and expectations, and improve measurable outcomes.
- Advances an integrated design methodology: You will move ahead a more integrated approach to design that raises the bar for sustainability, resiliency, and wellness, that supports our steadfast commitment to our clients' functional and economic performance parameters, and that surprises and delights our customers, colleagues and communities.
- Serves as an inspirational leader: You will engage and energize stakeholders, both within and outside our organization. You possess the talent to motivate and to innovate, the capabilities required to systemically scale our design infrastructure, and an innate faculty for deriving accomplishment and joy from others' successes.
A few more attributes of a future JLGer:
- You are experienced. You have 10+ years professional experience with a proven track record of leading large-scale designs, teams, and clients.
- You are passionate. You lead by example, prioritizing the future in the context of today.
- You are engaged. You are an enthusiastic, trusted adviser, and serve as a resource on all matters related to design excellence.
On a 20-below January day in 1989, Gary Johnson and Lonnie Laffen opened the doors to JLG Architects with little more than a stack of bumwad and a burning desire to truly make a difference through great design (and probably a space heater, because brr).
Thirty years later, we are one of the country’s 50 Most Admired Companies (MSN Money), 50 Best Places to Work (Inc. Magazine), and Architecture Giants (Building Design+Construction). That two-person firm may have grown to 150 professionals in 12 offices, but our driving force remains the same.
Every day at JLG is a new day for creating, inspiring and solving challenges. Everyone – from our Intern Designers to our Construction Administrator to our Marketing staff – is the heart and brains of the process, and we work closely together because we are inspired by one another. We live and work with passion; we never stop at “good enough” when it comes to our own expertise and aptitude, and are innovative and resilient in seeking out new ways to actively participate in the experience of being a JLGer.
In fact, our JLGers are so important that we became a 100% Employee-Owned ESOP in 2014 because the best place to grow your career is at a business of your own design. So, if you are someone with fire in your belly and fun up your sleeve, you’re someone we want to meet.
Beyond a love for award-winning architecture and chocolate-covered potato chips (not required), here is what makes a JLGer:
DESIGN | We raise the bar.
We elevate outcomes and expectations through thoughtful, creative, and inspirational solutions.
RELATIONSHIPS | We build connections.
We nurture collaborative, supportive, authentic, and respectful relationships through clear and honest communication and adaptive decision-making.
COMMUNITY | We make a difference.
We find new ways to actively engage in and uplift all of our communities — from our professional network to our local neighborhood to our family of JLGers.
STEWARDSHIP | We take good care.
We make responsible decisions regarding our clients’, firm’s, and planet's resources, treating them like they're our own.
INTEGRITY | We do what we say.
We do right by our clients, our communities, and ourselves.
But wait, there’s more - here are a few other reasons why it’s good to be a JLGer:
- Agile workforce program
- Summer and flexible hours
- JLGfit program
- Company-wide events and in-house social gatherings
- 100%-paid Medical Insurance
- Dental, Vision and Supplemental Insurance; Health Savings Account; Life, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Paid time off; paid holidays; paid bereavement; paid parental leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health/Daycare FLEX)
- Formal peer mentoring program; Company-sponsored training and continuing education
- Paid Licensure and NCARB fees
- Paid Architectural Registration Exams
- Endless growth opportunities
- For new graduates, a 3-year development program that cuts the time to licensure in half
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match contribution
- Licensure bonus program
- Discretionary bonuses
Orchestrate an integrated approach to design that raises the bar for sustainability, resiliency, and wellness, that supports our steadfast commitment to our clients’ functional and economic performance parameters, and that surprises and delights our customers, colleagues and communities. You have the innate capacity to work at multiple scales, from engaging in the details of design, to communicating big ideas to diverse audiences, to overseeing the construction of firm-wide infrastructure for design tools, processes, and talent development. You advance the culture and brand of design at JLG.
Location: Open to any location
QUALIFICATIONS & ATTRIBUTES
- Registered Architect with rigorous design education
- 10+ years professional experience with a proven track record of leading large-scale designs, teams, and clients
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, critical thinking and design skills, with the ability to formulate design solutions that elevate the JLG brand
- Experience developing comprehensive design concepts that consider the solution at multiple scales, and formulating well-organized, persuasive, and effective design presentation strategies
- Significant experience in space planning, material selection, specifications and the technical execution of large-scale projects from pre-design through construction phase services
- Knowledge of the total project process, including compensation strategies, client and project budgets, costs of construction, and team management, with requisite business acumen to help guide the team and client
- Experience in building firm-wide design infrastructure, including tools, processes, and talent development strategies
- Familiarity with industry-standard tools and ability to use MS office suite and Bluebeam
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and develop a strong team of designers across the firm
- Ability to work collaboratively with management, project team member, consultants, and clients
- An innate faculty for deriving accomplishment and joy from others' successes
- Ability to travel
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
ADVANCE AN INTEGRATED DESIGN METHODOLOGY
- Adopting the AIA Framework for design excellence (formerly known as the COTE Top Ten), orchestrate an integrated design methodology through training and education, internal and external communication, infrastructure and talent development, discipline as well as inspiration, and rigorous accountability
ELEVATE THE JLG BRAND
- Building on a solid foundation and core value of design excellence, lead, challenge, and inspire our teams and our clients to embrace innovative design solutions that elevate experiences, improve outcomes, and honor JLG's steadfast commitment to our clients' functional and economic performance parameters. Continually work to ensure that design at JLG pioneers a way forward in the midst of rapid and constant change in our company and our world.
FOSTER A CULTURE OF DESIGN EXCELLENCE
- Through inspirational, authentic, and accessible leadership, engage and energize stakeholders both within and outside the organization, keeping us all connected to design as it evolves in the world around us. Advance the understanding that design excellence matters broadly, and that everyone plays a role in impacting outcomes, regardless of skills, talents or position. Preserve design excellence as the heart of our organization by governing relevant internal processes, firm-wide communication, and other cultural initiatives.
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."