You were the type of kid who glued their Legos together. You dream of details and thrive on the nitty-gritty. Contractors like you so much that you haven’t paid for a lunch in years. You crush deadlines, are as thorough as the day is long, and you’re such a great multi-tasker that you’re reading this while tuning up your motorcycle.
You want to bridge the gap between architecture and construction, and reap the profits of your efforts, and work with some of the most creative, fun and progressive people in our industry, and eat chocolate-covered potato chips. Guess what? We have the job for you.
JLG Architects is seeking a Construction Services Job Captain. Not just any Construction Services Job Captain, mind you.
A JLG Construction Services Job Captain:
- Get’s it built. You will be the JLG guide and the client liaison from pre-bid to close-out using JLG standard policy, procedures and tools. You will support the design team in producing documents which are the pride of the upper Midwest.
- Communicates, communicates, communicates. You work with everyone. Everyone. You need to protect and promote the JLG brand while gaining confidence of stakeholders and team members while also keeping the contractors happy.
A few more attributes of a future JLG-er:
- You need construction experience. You need at least 3 years of experience working on commercial construction related projects
- You are the embodiment of customer and personnel service. Since you interact with literally everyone, you have the ability to project a professional company image throughout everything you do.
- You know building codes and ADA requirements. You have prior experience interpreting design includes these facets.
- You’ve got your mind on the money. You have a clear understanding and working knowledge of project budgets and cost estimates.
On a 20-below January day in 1989, Gary Johnson and Lonnie Laffen opened the doors to JLG Architects with little more than a stack of bumwad and a burning desire to truly make a difference through great design (and probably a space heater, because brr).
Thirty plus years later, we are one of the country’s 50 Most Admired Companies (MSN Money), 50 Best Places to Work (Inc. Magazine), and Architecture Giants (Building Design+Construction). That two-person firm may have grown to 150 professionals in 11 offices, but our driving force remains the same.
Every day at JLG is a new day for creating, inspiring and solving challenges. Everyone – from our Intern Designers to our Construction Administrator to our Marketing staff – is the heart and brains of the process, and we work closely together because we are inspired by one another. We live and work with passion; we never stop at “good enough” when it comes to our own expertise and aptitude, and are innovative and resilient in seeking out new ways to actively participate in the experience of being a JLGer.
In fact, our JLGers are so important that we became a 100% Employee-Owned ESOP in 2014 because the best place to grow your career is at a business of your own design. So, if you are someone with fire in your belly and fun up your sleeve, you’re someone we want to meet.
Beyond a love for award-winning architecture and chocolate-covered potato chips (not required), here is what makes a JLGer:
DESIGN | We raise the bar.
We elevate outcomes and expectations through thoughtful, creative, and inspirational solutions.
RELATIONSHIPS | We build connections.
We nurture collaborative, supportive, authentic, and respectful relationships through clear and honest communication and adaptive decision-making.
COMMUNITY | We make a difference.
We find new ways to actively engage in and uplift all of our communities — from our professional network to our local neighborhood to our family of JLGers.
STEWARDSHIP | We take good care.
We make responsible decisions regarding our clients’, firm’s, and planet's resources, treating them like they're our own.
INTEGRITY | We do what we say.
We do right by our clients, our communities, and ourselves.
But wait, there’s more - here are a few other reasons why it’s good to be a JLGer:
- Agile workforce program
- Summer and flexible hours
- JLGfit program
- Company-wide events and in-house social gatherings
- 100%-paid Medical Insurance
- Dental, Vision and Supplemental Insurance; Health Savings Account; Life, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Paid time off; paid holidays; paid bereavement; paid parental leave
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Health/Daycare FLEX)
- Formal peer mentoring program; Company-sponsored training and continuing education
- Paid Licensure and NCARB fees
- Paid Architectural Registration Exams
- Endless growth opportunities
- For new graduates, a 3-year development program that cuts the time to licensure in half
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer match contribution
- Licensure bonus program
- Discretionary bonuses
Responsible for supporting the Construction Services Specialists and report directly to the Project Manager with all aspects of the construction administration project phase, with emphasis on quality assurance review of JLG projects during the construction phase.
Position Location: Sioux Falls, SD
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the bidding, negotiation and construction phase services using JLG standard policies, procedures, and tools
- Job site visits to coordinate work, ensure subcontractor quality, and enforce safety
- Obtain familiarity with the project and its unique goals
- Read the Owner/Architect agreement to clearly understand contracted scope of work
- Display a competent knowledge of building materials, specifications and construction techniques
- Follow the project checklist through project close-out
- Provide weekly status reports to project team
- Prioritize budget and schedule
- Take responsibility for monthly staffing assignments and be proactive in communicating with project team to understand and clarify expectations Assist to refine and advance JLG's standard practices
Manage project team, consultant and contractor communications
- Protect and promote the JLG brand
- Autonomously resolve construction issues with a demonstrated understanding of when to escalate issues to the Construction Specialist or Project Manager
- Gain confidence and trust of stakeholders by being an articulate and consistent communicator and follow-through on actions discussed
- Maintain project communications plan, including roles and responsibilities for client, project team and consultants
- Ensure actions demonstrate stewardship of our client and their resources
Assist with managing the owner and client communications when assigned
- Protect and promote the JLG brand to ensure construction is easy for clients and a rewarding experience
- Gain confidence of stakeholders by through clear and consistent communication supported by following through actions
- "Can-do" outlook
- Willingness to do what it takes
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
- Design and/or technical capacity (as required per job description)
- Financial performance/accountability
- Schedule and budget control
- Communication - project team, PIC, consultants, client and other stakeholders
- Client relations
- Respect and confidence of peers and project team
- Marketing /business development skills and effort
- Client sponsorship: obtain repeat business from existing clients
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."