ENR Mountain States, working in concert with other regional ENR publications and editors across the U.S., has selected its Design Firms of the Year for 2019.
Design Firms of the Year are chosen by a vote of the regional ENR editors across the country from a carefully selected group of finalists based on regional revenues, new initiatives, current projects and several other factors.
North and South Dakota
The majority of JLG Architects’ 13 regional offices serve the Mountain States region: six in North Dakota, three in South Dakota. The remainder are in Minnesota, including a new office that opened in St. Cloud, Minn., earlier this year.
In addition to a solid revenue performance in the regional service area, JLG’s sports and ice hockey practice group’s national commissions grew substantially in 2018. That division serves clients across the entire U.S. Adding a team of certified interior designers to the interior architecture team has also expanded
JLG’s service lines beyond its core design markets of education, health care, multifamily, aviation and master planning.
JLG Architects became a 100% employee-owned firm in 2014, and it applies a one-firm model (no geographic profit centers) to enhance its workforce flexibility and focus. Also, it has a robust recruitment program that targets high-potential new graduates and trains them in a customized three-year, in-house development curriculum.
Recent key projects include:
- Dakota State University Madison Cyber Labs, Madison, S.D. This is the only cybersecurity education and research facility of its kind in the region.
- Village on the River, Sioux Falls, S.D. This is a reimagining of the standard parking garage into a people-focused Live-Work-Play center in downtown Sioux Falls.
- Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum, Medora, N.D. This will be one of only 13 presidential libraries in the U.S.
- Colorado College Edward J. Robson Arena, Colorado Springs. JLG is currently working on 17 hockey projects across the country, including the University of Denver and the University of Utah.
- Altru Health System Hospital; Grand Forks, N.D. A new 500,000-sq-ft hospital is being built on an active health care campus.
- University of North Dakota Memorial Union. Known as the main living room of campus, this project was funded by students.
- West Fargo Horace High School, West Fargo, N.D. JLG has seven high schools, 17 elementary schools, and three K-12 schools in progress.
- Mountrail-Williams Electric Cooperative, Williston, N.D. The new facility will be only the fourth LEED Gold electric cooperative in the U.S.
A profile story on both firms will appear in the June issue of ENR Mountain States.