The renovation of the Mercantile Exchange received an AIA North Dakota Design Award.
Grand Forks Mercantile Exchange Grand Forks, North Dakota
The Grand Forks Mercantile Exchange Building located along the Red River in downtown Grand Forks formerly served as the city’s Ford Model T dealership, John Deere Implement, Hugo’s original food store - Pure Foods ad the S & H Green Stamps Premium Store. The 1893 building, located on the National Register of Historic Places, was in poor condition prior to the restoration and re-use. The renovation project restored the facility both inside and out and returned it to its original character. The building now houses several professional firms, as well as a restaurant.
The Mercantile Exchange reused an existing building rather than tearing it down and building new.