Every serious athletics and wellness architectural studio leader should have a deep passion and portfolio in award-winning arenas along with superior communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively.
You are more than an architect; you are the builder of communities, the voice of the people, and the greatest sports fan who ever lived. You not only can sell ice cubes to an Eskimo, you know the secret to setting up those ice cubes juuuuuust so in order to lower ice plant costs and improve per-seat profitability.
You want to lead, and reap the profits of your efforts, and work with some of the most creative, fun and progressive people in our industry, and eat chocolate-covered potato chips.
Guess what? We have the job for you.
JLG Architects is seeking a Practice Leader for our Athletics and Wellness studio. Not just any Practice Leader, mind you.
The JLG Sport Practice Leader:
- Helps JLG to work on the best projects, for the best clients. The JLGsport leader builds relationships and elevates the role of marketing and business development within the company to assure JLG is the firm of choice for the clients and communities we seek to serve.
- Is the go-to thought leader for anything and everything related to recreational architecture. Our JLGsport leader understands the needs and trends in the industry and how to speak the language of the building type in order to provide leadership for the design and planning activities in for the initial phases of the projects.
- Educates, Trains, Researches, and Elevates. Like our communities, JLG is always growing, and our JLGsport Practice Leader will guide the entire JLGsport team into the future.
A few more attributes of a future JLG-er:
- You need to be an experienced sports and wellness architect. You need a minimum of 10 years of post-graduate building type expertise in athletics and recreation projects, and a portfolio that includes financial, schedule, and overall project management.
- You know people. You have a history of client sponsorship and management, as well as a proven track record of turning those relationships into built work.
- You know what it means to be a leader. Your "can-do" outlook and willingness to do what it takes garners the respect and confidence of your peers and project team. You stick to your budgets and schedules, period. You communicate. "Organized" is your middle name.
Inc. Magazine’s Best Place to Work. MSN Money’s Top 50 Most Admired U.S. Companies. The Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal’s Top 25 Architecture Firms in the Twin Cities. PSMJ Circle of Excellence. Architectural Record Top Architecture Firms. ENR Top 500 Firm. The Zweig Group Top 25 Hot Firm. Grow Grand Best Firm for Young Professionals.
Oh, and we have a couple of design awards, too – somewhere in the area of 100.
For 29 years, JLG Architects has helped our clients work leaner, cleaner, and better. We create comfortable, inviting, exciting environments that raise productivity and lower sick days.
We find unique high performance opportunities to reduce – and sometimes even eliminate – operations costs. We stay on budget, period.
We understand that architecture is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and we want to make the most of it. We work hard, and we love what we do.
Nothing makes us more proud than the success of our clients. We make the design and construction process easy so they can focus on being the best in their respective industries.
We have 100 professionals in twelve offices across the Midwest because we want to be a part of the communities where we work and live every day.
More importantly, our employees are what make us JLG. They are the brains behind our award-winning designs, the heart of our corporate family, and the reason we have been named a Best Place to Work firm, both for professionals and early career adults.
Every day at JLG is a new day for creating, inspiring and solving challenges. Everyone – from our Intern Designers to our Construction Administrator to our Marketing staff – is a part of the process, and we work closely together because we are inspired by one another. So, if you are someone with fire in your belly and fun up your sleeve, you’re someone we want to meet.
- Registered Architect
- 10+ years of post-graduate experience minimum, including:
- Building type expertise in Sports and Wellness projects
- Client relations/management experience
- Project management experience, especially financial and schedule
- Team/personnel management experience
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Business Development and Client Sponsorship
- Help JLG to work on the best projects, for the best clients
- Elevate the role of marketing and business development within the company to assure JLG is the firm of choice for clients we seek to serve
- Endeavor to follow our quality client criteria Identify opportunities to develop relationships and secure work; communicate with Marketing staff to track and coordinate appropriate strategies and materials
- Honor existing relationships and expand client base by making client sponsorship a priority for what we do and who we are at all levels
- Client relations/sponsorship
- Serve as main point of contact on all Sports & Recreation projects (JLG SPORT)
- Secure design phase reviews and written approvals
- Establish clients schedule and budget parameters
- Manage client expectations throughout the concept planning and early phases of the project
- Maintain client communications/relationship throughout project
- Travel as required to lead JLG SPORT, develop business and meet Client expectations
- Meet or exceed annual revenue targets per the business plan approved by the Board of Directors
- Manage, coordinate and monitor business development activity
- Oversee proposal and interview preparation
- Coordinate pre-design and marketing efforts, including agreements, team assembly and work plan
Division Expertise and Advancement
- Be the Building type expert for Sports & Recreation projects for JLG
- Understand the needs and trends in the industry
- Speak the language of the building type and Clients
- Provide leadership for design and planning activities for the initial phases of projects
- Mine industry/division and project data to advance evidence-based-design initiatives
- Transfer knowledge broadly to project teams and throughout JLG
Programming and Design
- Serve as program and design specialist for all JLG Sports and Wellness work
- Safeguard the JLG brand by providing general oversight of the work that is produced in the JLG SPORT Division, especially with respect to:
- Energy-efficient design
- JLG SPORT (including ICE) division leadership
- Accountable for profitability and performance of JLG SPORT Division and projects
- Understand, implement and monitor firm financial controls and processes
- Clearly communicate firm expectations and objectives for each project
- Keep the PIC informed of the project status and understand that PIC role will be light on projects in the Director of Sports and Recreations portfolio (PIC role will be essentially limited to project financial accountability to the Board of Directors)
- Project responsibilities
- Assist Marketing staff by participating in proposal writing and interviews
- Project start:
- Complete project data form and secure job number
- Establish criteria for evaluation for project success (profit goals, design goals, etc.); secure PIC approval
- Negotiate, execute and monitor all Owner/Architect and Architect/Consultant Agreements; secure PIC approval
- Hold clients and consultants accountable for meeting the terms of their contracts and ensure that established procedures are being followed
- Determine project team structure
- Participate in Project Setup meeting
- Review and approve initial PM Workbook
- Project delivery:
- Review and approve all contract amendments, additional services, etc.
- Assist PA in developing and maintaining project communications plan, including roles and responsibilities for client, project team and consultants
- Assist PA in meeting project profit goals through internal schedule and budget management
- Direct project teams as appropriate to each phase of design and development
- Sign-off on each design phase
- Be available to represent the firm at key points during the project with the Owner and other stakeholders, if necessary
- Stay abridged of project status; hold project team accountable for project status reports
- Manage project invoices as follows:
- Review/assess/finalize any RPCs that vary from the established PM Workbook (Project Management Accountant will bring these to the PICs attention)
- Review all invoices that include the following to determine alignment with contract terms and need to manage client expectations:
- Hourly billing
- Finance charges
- Project close-out:
- Assure that projects close strong and client relationship is secured
- Sign-off of project close-out checklist
- Approve final project close-out, including evaluation of project success based on established goals
- Work with marketing department to implement client sponsorship strategies
- Represent JLG
- "Can-do" outlook
- Willingness to do what it takes
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Skill sets:
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
- Design and/or technical capacity (as required per job
Responsible for the development and execution of all Sports and Wellness projects including business development, client sponsorship, division expertise and advancement, programming and design, and team.
Position Location: Open to consider any JLG office location