US Bank Stadium, One World Trade Center, the Louvre – you could have managed those in your sleep. You coined the phrase, “The buck stops here.” Your clients love you so much they take you on vacation. You thrive on detail, you crush deadlines, and you’re such a great multi-tasker that you’re reading this while tuning up your motorcycle.
You want to lead, and reap the profits of your efforts, and work with some of the most creative, fun and progressive people in our industry, and eat chocolate-covered potato chips. Guess what? We have the job for you.
JLG Architects is seeking a Senior Project Architect/Manager. Not just any Senior Project Architect/Manager, mind you.
A JLG Senior Project Architect/Manager:
- Is the backbone, the brain and the heart of a JLG’s most complex, large-scale projects. A JLG Senior Project Manager coordinates the entire project team, leads internal and external meetings, is the day-to-day contact for the client and keeps the budget and schedule online.
- Has an advanced understanding of materials and methods. Engineering? Check. Construction? Check. Codes, materials, latest building trends? Check, check, check.
- Delivers. Speaking of checks, a JLG Senior Project Manager is responsible for the execution of the JLG Project Checklist, our tried-and-true standards and processes guidelines.
- Leads. A JLG Senior Project Architect/Manager makes independent decisions and empowers his or her teammates while also managing difficult conversations (contract enforcement, contingency, etc).
A few more attributes of a future JLG-er:
- You are deeply experienced. You must be a registered architect and provide a minimum of two professional recommendations that speak to your ability to lead large-scale, complex projects.
- You must understand technology. You need to be proficient in both Revit and AutoCad, and proficient in building technology.
- You know what it means to be a self-motivated leader. JLG can trust you to serve as the main point of client contact from beginning to end, and then some. Your can-do outlook and willingness to do what it takes garners the respect and confidence of your peers and project team. You own budgets and schedules.
- You are engaged. You are an enthusiastic community steward and volunteer.
- You are ready to apply. Visit www.jlgarchitects.com/careers and suit up for the first day of the rest of your life.
Inc. Magazine’s Best Place to Work. MSN Money’s Top 50 Most Admired U.S. Companies. The Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal’s Top 25 Architecture Firms in the Twin Cities. PSMJ Circle of Excellence. Architectural Record Top Architecture Firms. ENR Top 500 Firm. The Zweig Group Top 25 Hot Firm. Grow Grand Best Firm for Young Professionals.
Oh, and we have a couple of design awards, too – somewhere in the area of 100.
For 29 years, JLG Architects has helped our clients work leaner, cleaner, and better. We create comfortable, inviting, exciting environments that raise productivity and lower sick days.
We find unique high performance opportunities to reduce – and sometimes even eliminate – operations costs. We stay on budget, period.
We understand that architecture is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and we want to make the most of it. We work hard, and we love what we do.
Nothing makes us more proud than the success of our clients. We make the design and construction process easy so they can focus on being the best in their respective industries.
We have 100 professionals in twelve offices across the Midwest because we want to be a part of the communities where we work and live every day.
More importantly, our employees are what make us JLG. They are the brains behind our award-winning designs, the heart of our corporate family, and the reason we have been named a Best Place to Work firm, both for professionals and early career adults.
Every day at JLG is a new day for creating, inspiring and solving challenges. Everyone – from our Intern Designers to our Construction Administrator to our Marketing staff – is a part of the process, and we work closely together because we are inspired by one another. So, if you are someone with fire in your belly and fun up your sleeve, you’re someone we want to meet.
- Current architectural registration/licensure required
- A minimum of two professional recommendations
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proven ability to function in all phases of project development from predesign through construction phase for the most complex projects of the largest magnitude and/or of multiple projects simultaneously.
- Advanced understanding of building materials and construction methods
- Thorough knowledge of JLG production standards, tools and processes
- Advanced knowledge of building codes
- Ability to make independent decisions and empower team mates to learn decision-making skills
- Highly-developed analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated client relations/management ability
- Demonstrated project management leadership experience, including financial, team leadership, and schedule
- Strong verbal, written and graphical communication skills and an ability to gain client confidence and aid in any community presentations or outreach associated with the project.
- Ability to manage difficult conversations for complex large scale projects i.e. holding discussions on contract enforcement, contingency, design team errors, etc – which require taking responsibility armed with solutions.
- Revit aptitude
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES: include the following (other duties may be assigned)
- Client Contact
o Serve as main point of client contact
o Secure design phase reviews and written approvals
o Maintain client’s schedule and budget parameters
o Manage client expectations throughout the project, including construction phase
o Approve invoices and oversee AR collections
o Provide weekly or bi-weekly Project Status Report to the PIC and client for active projects (Inactive projects shall have a monthly update)
o Oversee the client relationship and work produced to be the trusted advisor for the client, managing expectations, and executing appropriate actions to identify potential project and/or relationship risks and respond appropriately
o Honor existing relationships and expand client base by making client sponsorship and satisfaction a priority for what we do and who we are at all levels
o Participate in outside interest that benefit the firm, exhibit community stewardship, and a high level of self-motivation
- Project Accountability
o Participate in proposal writing, especially drafting work plans
o Coordinate with PIC and Staffing Coordinator to populate project team
o Propose consultants, fees, and schedule for approval by PIC and execute consultant contract(s)
o Implement project communications plan, including roles and responsibilities for client, project team and consultants
o Communicate contracted scope of work and execute contract terms to project team
o Meet project profit goals through internal schedule and budget management
o Provide the information to set-up and maintain the PM workbook to PM Accountant, or Project Operations Manager, including the Fee, Staff Budget, and Schedule
o Assess project progress and provide Report Percent Complete
o Invoicing review and approve consultants’ and other expenses
o Assist PIC to negotiate, execute and monitor all Owner/Architect and Architect/Consultant Agreements
o Clearly communicate firm expectations and objectives for each project
o Hold clients and consultants accountable for meeting the terms of their contracts and ensure that established procedures are being followed
- Team coordination
o Plan and review team assignments and work plan with PIC and project team.
o Schedule and administer team meetings, including technical specialists and consultants.
o Work with PIC to determine role/responsibility of all project team members, especially in terms of client communication.
o Confidently display a sufficient knowledge of engineering disciplines and construction practices to coordinate with consultants and contractors.
o Serve as a firm ambassador through being trustworthy and exhibiting personal behavior that reflects positively on the firm
o Provide motivation to employees and consultants through mentorship and coaching to participate in the development of staff, and provide the best possible working environment
o Participate in project and employee review process, providing accurate and meaningful feedback
o Engage in team member development, opportunities and advancement
- Project Delivery
o Have a clear understanding of the contracted scope of work and align the Project Checklist accordingly. Develop the project workplan to align and hold project teams accountable.
o Execute the project work plan using the JLG Project Checklist.
o Assume direct responsibility for quality control of the project; review and approve the technical content and method of presentation of all project deliverables, following established JLG standards and processes.
o Submit project checklist to PIC on a periodic basis for review and approval.
o Coordinate all of the technical efforts of the team members.
o Display a competent knowledge of building materials, specifications and construction techniques.
o Understand the requirements of and clearly communicate with governmental agencies and building authorities having jurisdiction.
o Hone knowledge of professional ethics applying to the practice of Architecture.
o Possess a passion for architecture and a demonstrated passion for the practice, with a constant desire to grow in the business and the profession, to be a thought leader and advancement JLG through knowledge transfer and mentorship
o Safeguard the JLG brand by providing general oversight of the work produced with respect to: Design, Quality, Budget, and Energy-efficient design
o Respectfully recommend and defend good design practices and solutions on all projects.
- Note: assignments may include higher-level work for training/development purposes.
TARGET UTILIZATION RATE: 80%
- Manage the JLG Project Checklist.
- Oversee the design and technical execution of the project.
- Report directly to the PIC any matters that jeopardize the success of project which cannot be resolved at intermediate levels of responsibility, including staff performance.
- Participate in project and employee review process by providing accurate and meaningful feedback especially as it relates to the JLG organizational structure.
o “Can-do” outlook
o Willingness to do what it takes
o Sense of ownership and responsibility
o Desire to help and advance others
o High expectations of one’s self, one’s team and one’s firm
- Skill sets:
o Organizational skills
o Communication skills
o Technical skills
o Design aptitude
- Management abilities:
o Schedule and budget control
o Communication – project team, PIC, consultants, and clients, and other stakeholders
o Client Relations
o Financial performance / accountability
o Respect and confidence of peers and project team
o Client sponsorship: obtain repeat business from existing clients
o Identify staff with aptitude and ability to further develop and mentor staff
Manages the most complex large scale projects work to assure that the owner’s project goals are met, the documents are developed in accordance with internal and construction cost budgets and schedules, and the firm’s quality control objectives are achieved per the JLG Project Checklist and standards.
Position Location: Minneapolis, MN