Your favorite book is an instruction manual. You can name the American Concrete Institute reference standards for hot weather and cold weather concreting. CCCC – Clear, Concise, Complete Correct – is your middle name.
You want to work with some of the most creative, fun and progressive people in our industry, and eat chocolate-covered potato chips. Guess what? We have the job for you.
JLG Architects is seeking an Assistant Specifications Writer / Quality Assurer. Not just any Assistant Spec Writer, mind you. A JLG Assistant Spec Writer:
- Works well with others. You have a deep understanding of architectural design, engineering coordination, design trends, products, construction methodology, building systems, material applications, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness to serve as the technical liaison to project teams throughout all phases of project design.
- Has beyond-excellent time management skills. You can conduct a full review of code and project documentation within 8-16 hours (depending on the scale), and does whatever it takes to produce results within a deadline.
- Acts as the JLG Spec Writer’s right-hand man/woman. You are knowledgeable, trustworthy, and detailed enough to produce draft specifications that require minimum alterations or redlines.
A few more attributes of a future JLG-er:
- You are a professional. You hold an Architectural Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or have the equivalent in education and experience. If possible, you are proficient in BSD SpecLink and hold a professional architectural registration.
- You are experienced. You have 2-5 years of experience in Building Technology, Code Knowledge, and Product Research and Specification.
- You are ready to apply. Visit www.jlgarchitects.com/careers and suit up for the first day of the rest of your life.
Inc. Magazine’s Best Place to Work. MSN Money’s Top 50 Most Admired U.S. Companies. The Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal’s Top 25 Architecture Firms in the Twin Cities. PSMJ Circle of Excellence. Architectural Record Top Architecture Firms. ENR Top 500 Firm. The Zweig Group Top 25 Hot Firm. Grow Grand Best Firm for Young Professionals.
Oh, and we have a couple of design awards, too – somewhere in the area of 100.
For 29 years, JLG Architects has helped our clients work leaner, cleaner, and better. We create comfortable, inviting, exciting environments that raise productivity and lower sick days.
We find unique high performance opportunities to reduce – and sometimes even eliminate – operations costs. We stay on budget, period.
We understand that architecture is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and we want to make the most of it. We work hard, and we love what we do.
Nothing makes us more proud than the success of our clients. We make the design and construction process easy so they can focus on being the best in their respective industries.
We have 100 professionals in twelve offices across the Midwest because we want to be a part of the communities where we work and live every day.
More importantly, our employees are what make us JLG. They are the brains behind our award-winning designs, the heart of our corporate family, and the reason we have been named a Best Place to Work firm, both for professionals and early career adults.
Every day at JLG is a new day for creating, inspiring and solving challenges. Everyone – from our Intern Designers to our Construction Administrator to our Marketing staff – is a part of the process, and we work closely together because we are inspired by one another. So, if you are someone with fire in your belly and fun up your sleeve, you’re someone we want to meet.
To find out more, please visit www.jlgarchitects.com/careers.
- Architectural Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or engineering or equivalent in education or experience required
- Professional architectural registration preferred
- 2-5 years of professional experience including:
- Building technology
- Code knowledge
- Product research and specification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong knowledge of:
- architectural design, engineering coordination, design trends, products, construction methodology, building systems, material application, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness
- construction procedures and schedules
- building envelope components, interior plans and material requirements of all building and facility types
- building codes and ability to research and apply/incorporate into technical documents
- sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines
- Architectural specification writing experience preferred.
- Proficiency in BSD SpecLink preferred, but not required.
- Bluebeam Revue and Revit computer software experience beneficial
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with ability to take ownership to do what it takes, taking on additional responsibilities as needed, as well as determine and manage priorities with minimal guidance and produce results within deadline
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills to support a collaborative teamwork environment and effectively interact with individuals at all levels
- Exceptional work ethic, as well as ability to uphold company values and demand the highest standard of conduct from self and others
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: include the following (other duties may be assigned)
- Reviews drawings and other project information to write and edit specifications for projects and coordinates compliance with project requirements, institutional guidelines, JLG standards, technical conditions, acceptable standards, and existing laws, rules, regulations and codes.
- Understands the project design requirements and translates those requirements into materials, methods, equipment, procedures, installation, and certification testing necessary to provide the narrative descriptions which are used to procure, install and erect building components.
- Prepare and review the procurement and contracting requirements, including the Division 1 General Requirement sections.
- Reviews LEED scorecard and provides knowledgeable input on material product selection for LEED certification. Provides project budget input related to product and system value choices regarding cost versus quality.
- Performs product research; assists project designers with material selection and system research.
- Provides quality management reviews and technical advice in design development through construction document phases.
- Acts as a risk management resource to other project leaders.
- Develops and maintains relationships with vendors.
- Provides assistance in the development and improvement of JLG’s Master Specifications including its specialized content for project type or regional conditions as well as sustainable content
- Assists project managers with review and coordination of project agreements relative to professional service and general condition issues.
- Assists project architects and project designers with material and system constructability analysis.
- Assists project architects with shop drawing and product substitution review.
- Coordinates and reviews consultant technical specifications for conformance with JLG standards.
- Participates in project life cycle cost analysis
- Maintains technical resource library and list of technical resource contacts.
- Archives technical files to ensure consistent project milestone documentation.
- May conduct internal specifications training.
- Participates in developing and improving JLG document standards and best practice procedures.
TARGET UTILIZATION RATE: 80%
- “Can-do” outlook
- Willingness to do what it takes
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Skill sets:
- Detail-orientated and organizational skills
- Communication skills
- Computer skills
Serves as a technical liaison to project teams, coordinating project specification deliverables and design guidelines throughout all phases of project design. Assist to define and provide quality assurance into construction and project documents.
Position Location: Open to consider any JLG office location